Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Shredded Beef Tacos


I realize my posts have been a little dinner-heavy lately.  Don't worry--we'll be back to sweets soon (get excited for cookies tomorrow)!  The reason for another recipe with chuck roast is that I bought one of those big family-sized packages of stew meat a couple of weeks ago.  I've never been one for "convenience" foods because it means paying more for something I can do myself.  Well, not this time.  At my grocery store, the family packages are automatically .20 less per pound than the regular packages.

Another trick I like to use for buying meat is looking for the orange stickers that mark packages that need to be sold that day.  There's nothing wrong with the meat; it's still good.  It simply needs to be cooked or frozen right away.  These are anywhere from 20-40% off!  And it's easy to either switch around the menu to use the certain meat that night, or divide it into the serving sizes I need and freeze it.

That means I got almost 6 lbs of chuck roast (already cubed which means most of the fat was cut away--more meat per pound!) for $12 and some change!  Now what to do with 6 lbs of cubed chuck roast???

Because I always have ingredients for tacos on hand, I decided to give it a try.  I usually use ground beef, but thought this would be a nice change, not to mention it cooks in the crockpot.  I made the meat the day before we ate it (because it needed to be cooked, and I was making stroganoff with part of it), then just reheated it on the stove before serving.  We all really enjoyed these tacos, and I will be making them again soon!

Shredded Beef:
Printer-friendly version

2 1/2-3 lbs chuck roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 cup chopped tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes
1 (12 oz) can chopped green chiles
1/2 cup beef broth
1/3 cup chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup fresh salsa
1 large bunch fresh torn cilantro (1/3-1/2 cup)

For Serving:
20-25 corn tortillas
Shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
Finely shredded lettuce
Chopped tomatoes
Low fat or fat free sour cream
Additional salsa

Combine all ingredients except salsa and cilantro in crockpot.  Set on low and cook for 6-8 hours.  Using a slotted spoon, scoop meat out into a 9x13 pan and shred with 2 forks.  Stir in salsa, cilantro, and some of the juice from the crockpot. Drain remaining juice. Place back in crockpot and heat through until ready to serve.



 Preheat oven to 400*.  Layer 8-10 tortillas, slightly overlapping, on a cookie sheet.  Bake in oven for about 5 minutes, until fragrant and crisp, but still pliable.

Spoon approximately 1/4 cup shredded beef onto each tortilla, top as desired.

Yield: 20-25 tacos.

No comments: