Monday, April 25, 2011

Waffles of Insane Greatness

Every once in a while, we like to do breakfast for dinner.  That almost always involves waffles, because they're my favorite.  I don't know why I don't make them more often for breakfast; maybe so they're still special when I do make them?  Anyway, like many other items, I almost always use a different recipe for waffles, because I hadn't found one that screamed to be repeated.  I kind of laughed when I saw the name for this one.  I figured it deserved a try.  Now, because I was busy taking pictures of my waffle, and, I don't know, feeding my children, I didn't get to eat mine while it was hot and crispy, which is my favorite.  The flavor was right on, though.  Definitely worth a repeat!

Note:  the original recipe made a very small amount of batter, so I have doubled it.  I have this waffle iron (which is half off this week, wow!), and with the recipe doubled, I believe I made 5 waffles.

One more note:  the batter needs to rest for 30 minutes, so plan accordingly! 

Waffles 
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups whole milk or buttermilk
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large mixing bowl with a pouring spout.  Add remaining ingredients.  Stir just until combined, and let rest 30 minutes.

Heat waffle iron, and follow its directions for cooking.  Do not spray the iron, as the oil in the batter will help it to not stick.  Serve hot.  Cooked waffles can be kept in a 200* F oven to keep hot while making the rest.

Source: Food Network

No comments: