Monday, May 9, 2011

Blueberry Muffins


My youngest daughter has taken to waking up at six o'clock every morning.  It's really not such a bad thing. It is already light out, and my husband and I go to bed early, so I get enough sleep.  The problem is what to do at that hour.  My answer?  Bake, of course!  So on Sunday morning, I mixed these up (they are really fast, by the way), and we had fresh-from-the-oven muffins before going to church.   I am picky about muffin texture (well, really any texture, have you figured that out yet?), and these were moist and tender.  Just right. 

Blueberry Muffins
Printer-friendly version
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups sour cream (I used fat free)
  • 2 cups blueberries
Preheat oven to 400*F.  Line muffin pan with 24 papers or grease well.
Crack eggs into bowl of electric mixer.  Using whisk attachment, beat on med-high.  Slowly pour in sugar while continuing to mix.  Turn down to low and stream in oil.  Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl.  Using a rubber spatula, alternately fold in flour mixture and sour cream.  Do not over-mix.  Fold in blueberries.  Scoop batter into prepared muffin pans. 
Bake 20 minutes.

Yield: 24 muffins
Source: All Recipes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, it sounded so good this AM so I made a batch! Thankfully I had all the ing. It was very easy. I love the texture and taste. The only thing I had 2dz plus! I also added some frozen cherry slices as I am really rationing my bluebs. I maybe would add cinn. since I love that combination. I will def. use again.
Cheri

Marissa said...

I can't wait to make these, I am addicted to blueberry muffins! Have you ever tried freezing muffins? I keep thinking about making a few different kinds and freezing them to eat later but wondered if there were any 'rules' or suggestions about that.

Emily said...

Cheri, I did half a batch, and ended up with 14 as well. I meant to write that in there... apparently I forgot :) I usually do a crumb topping with cinnamon, and I might try that next time too.
Marissa, I know my mom freezes bran muffins, and they do well. I have never frozen them, but you could just try it with one and see how it does!