Monday, May 16, 2011

Caramel-Swirl Blondies



I was eight years old when my baby brother was born.  I loved babies, and I became a sort of "second Mom".  I carried him with me all over and I played with him.  I liked to dress him.  When he got a little older, I was the one he wanted to tuck him in if my parents were gone.  We've always been close, and I've always seen him as my baby brother.




My baby brother is all grown up now.  He's six feet tall, turns eighteen in a couple of weeks, AND...he has a girlfriend.  Which is so weird to me.  Good, just weird.  She's a sweet girl who comes from a great family, and they are cute together.




My brother called last week to see if they could come watch the hockey game with us.  I wanted to make a sweet treat, and I wanted something quick.  I went to my new Williams-Sonoma Baking cookbook and found these yummy Blondies.  I also wanted a caramel swirl in them, so I made up some caramel, swirled it in the Blondies, and hoped for the best.  They were super yummy, and were perfect with a cup of strong coffee (is there any other kind??).  Which, by the way, my baby brother drank.  Again, weird.  Life is making me feel a little old lately, for the first time ever.  My brother will be going away to college in the fall, and that will be weird, too.  I'll miss him.  Love you, Buddy!




Caramel-Swirl Blondies

1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

For the caramel:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbs light corn syrup

Preheat oven to 350*F.  Lightly grease an 8x8 of 9x9 pan.
Combine brown sugar, vanilla, and eggs in bowl of an electric mixer.  Beat on high until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.  Turn mixer to low and add in flour and salt, just until combined.  Scrape into prepared pan using a rubber spatula, and smooth.  Set aside while making the caramel.

Combine all ingredients for caramel in a 2 qt sauce pan.  Bring to a boil, and, stirring constantly, continue to boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat, and continue stirring for 30 seconds.  Drizzle over Blondie batter.  Using a butter knife, make shallow cuts across the batter, in the opposite direction of the drizzle to form a swirl.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until set in the middle.

Source: Adapted from Williams-Sonoma
Yield: 9-12 servings.

No comments: