Monday, June 13, 2011

Berry Cobbler


I LOVE summer and all of the fresh produce that comes with it.  We are coming up on berry season, and I am so excited to go pick strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.  I eat as many fresh berries as I possibly can, make a few recipes with them, then freeze the rest to use year-round.  If you don't pick berries, you really should look into it.  Fruit, and berries especially, can get really expensive when it is not in season, and it is great to have a store in your freezer!

The cobbler topping in the picture is not actually the one in the recipe.  I tried a new one (why do I do that when I already have one I love??), and didn't like it as much as a cobbler topping that I use for peach cobbler.  So I am including that recipe in place of the one I used this time.  Make sense?  Your cobbler will still look similar, it will just taste even better!

Berry Cobbler
Printer-friendly version

Fruit filling:
2-3 lbs mixed berries (I used blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup sugar
2-3 Tbs cornstarch (depending on how much fruit you use)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Cobbler topping:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup cold butter, cut into thin slices
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine all filling ingredients in large bowl and mix gently.  Pour into a 9x13 baking dish.  In bowl of food processor, combine dry ingredients.  Pulse once or twice to combine.  Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles large peas.  Alternatively, combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl, and cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives.  Stir in egg.  Distribute topping evenly over berries.  Bake 40 minutes.  Let rest 10-15 minutes before serving.

Serve with large serving spoon, and top with vanilla ice cream, if desired.

Yield: 10-12 servings
Source: filling adapted from Williams-Sonoma

No comments: