Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Grilled Chicken & Vegetables with Pasta

 
 My mom made this pasta for my birthday dinner last year.  I have to say, it is one of my absolute favorites now.  What I love most is that it is SO versatile.  You'll notice that my picture and the ingredient list don't add up.  That's because I wanted to give you the original recipe, but it's really just a guideline.  You can use your favorite vegetables, or just whatever you have on hand.  I promise any combination will be amazing!

Also, I don't measure my vegetables; I just start chopping until I have a large pile :)  Feel free to add as much or as little chicken and vegetables as you want.  I will say, though, that the sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts really add a lot to the pasta, and I would be sure to include them!

Pair this pasta with a salad, and you have a great, healthy, colorful meal that is still filling and delicious!

Grilled Chicken & Vegetables with Pasta
Printer-Friendly Version
  • 3 large chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
  • 2 ou pine nuts
  • 1 lb fresh asparagus, washed and cut into 1-2 inch slices
  • 1/2 lb portabello mushroom caps, sliced into 1-inch slices
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch slices
  • 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 lb whole wheat penne
  • 4 sun dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
  • 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 ou freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Place chicken and vinaigrette in a gallon-sized zip-lock.  Put bag in a large bowl, and refrigerate at least 2 hours, until ready to use.
 
Place pine nuts in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Brown, stirring constantly; do not burn. Remove from heat; set aside.


Preheat grill over med-high heat. Pat dry the asparagus, onion and mushroom caps. Toss with olive oil; salt and pepper.  Place in grill basket, and stir often while chicken cooks.  Grill chicken breasts until cooked through. 
While grilling, cook penne according to package direcitons; drain. Toss pasta with sun dried tomatoes, grilled chicken and vegetables, pine nuts and extra virgin olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with grated parmesan cheese.






Serves: 6
Source: Kathy Crawford

No comments: