Wednesday, June 1, 2011

White Chicken Pizza


We very rarely order pizza.  Partly because I am cheap, and partly because it’s healthier when you can make it yourself!  I just recently tried this pizza dough from Annie’s Eats, and it will definitely be my new go-to crust.  I knew the second I grabbed the dough out of the mixer and felt how smooth and soft it was that it was going to be good.  Because I didn’t have any parchment paper on hand, I made my pizza on a non-pre-heated pizza stone at 400*.  It was still fantastic, so I am super excited to try it again with the parchment paper.  Baking it so hot on a pre-heated stone makes the bottom of the crust crispy while the top stays soft, just like it does from a restaurant. 

This white chicken pizza is one of my favorite ways to make pizza when it is just for me and my husband.  The flavors blend so well together, and the white, red, and green is pretty and looks like the Italian flag.  If you feel like changing up your regular pepperoni, this is a great way to do it!

White Chicken Pizza

Printer-Friendly Version

½ recipe pizza dough (freeze other half, or top as desired)
Cream Sauce (recipe below)
1 cup part-skim Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup shredded chicken
½ of a large tomato, diced
2-3 stalks of green onions, finely chopped
¼  cup shredded parmesan cheese

Cream Sauce

4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
¼ cup skim milk
1 clove garlic, finely minced OR ½ tsp garlic powder
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients in small sauce pan.  Stir to combine as cream cheese melts, adding  more milk by the tablespoon if too thick. Once smooth, remove from heat.




Assemble the Pizza

Preheat oven to 400 F if not using parchment paper/pizza peel, and if using a regular pan.  Preheat oven to 500 F and place pizza stone on middle rack if using parchment paper or pizza peel.

Follow directions for rolling out dough.  Top with cream sauce.  Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the sauce.  Top with chicken, tomatoes, and onions in an even layer.  Sprinkle parmesan cheese over everything.  (I like to lightly sprinkle a little garlic powder over the whole pizza at this point as well).

If using a regular baking pan, place pizza on middle rack and bake   min.  If baking on the pizza stone, slide pizza on to the hot stone using pizza peel, or with parchment paper.  Bake    min.  Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.

Yield: 1 12-inch pizza
Source: Dough from Annie’s Eats

No comments: