Thursday, June 2, 2011

PayDay Bars



I’ve always wondered who buys those candy bars in the check-out lane.  I’ve never bought them.  I’ve never seen anyone else buy one.  And really, apart from Halloween, I just don’t buy candy bars at all.  They just seem kind of gross.  Then, the other day, I realized that I may not BUY candy bars, but I do EAT them.  Remember these?   And how about those other bars?  And now, here’s another one.  They’re basically candy bars in homemade bar form!  Who knew?

PayDay Bars
Printer-Friendly Version

1 package vanilla cake mix
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 egg
3 cups mini marshmallows
2/3 cup light corn syrup
¼ cup butter
1 bag peanut butter chips
2-3 cups dry roasted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350* F.
Mix cake mix, butter, and egg using electric mixer until combined.  Press into lightly greased 9x13 pan.  Bake 10-12 minutes.  It will still be light, and not baked through.  Carefully sprinkle marshmallows over the top.  Return to oven until marshmallows are puffed and lightly browned.  Cool.

Bring corn syrup and butter to a rolling boil.  Remove from heat and add peanut butter chips.  Stir until combined.  Pour over marshmallows.  Immediately sprinkle with peanuts.  Let cool completely before cutting into bars.




Yield: 24 bars

No comments: